We Represent People Exclusively

Interior Of The Office Of The Reardon Law Firm, P.C.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » Where do you file suit if you’re in an out-of-state car accident?

Where do you file suit if you’re in an out-of-state car accident?

On Behalf of | Oct 21, 2020 | Car Accidents |

Despite a New London area resident’s best driving habits, car accidents still happen. Even if you’re the best driver in the state, you can’t control other drivers and their actions. Most drivers will be in at least one car accident in their driving career. Luckily most accidents are minor fender benders but occasionally a serious car accident can occur. If a person is injured in a car accident in another state, they may wonder what options they may have.

Out-of-state car accident

An out-of-state car accident is an accident that occurs in a state where the victim does not reside. So, if a Connecticut resident is injured in an accident in New York, then they’ve been in an out-of-state car accident.

Personal injury lawsuit

If a person has been injured in an accident due to no fault of their own, then they may be eligible for compensation. If the accident was the result of a negligent driver and took place in another state from which the victim lives, then a personal injury lawsuit should be filed in either:

  • The state where the accident occurred
  • The state where the defendant resides

What state laws apply?

It may also be important to understand what state laws apply for the lawsuit. Usually the laws of the state where the accident occurred will apply to the case.

Contact a personal injury attorney

As one can tell, the complexities regarding a car accident that occurs in other state can be enormous. A legal professional who is skilled in personal injury can help their client understand what their options are in this unfortunate circumstance. They can research the circumstances surrounding the accident, help determine who is at fault, and help the recover compensation for their client’s injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages.